Time goes by fast and I don't even have a regular schedule!
I can imagine how it is for those of you who work full-time.
I'd like to say that I spend my days lounging around like this:

but I don't.
Ok..... maybe I do in my head.
'Cuz let's face it: she's fabulous!!!
Instead my days lately have been filled with mundane things like running errands, doing laundry, cleaning, filling out on-line job applications (IKEA or Macy's: CALL ME!) and making an almost daily trip to the new fro-yo place in town: The Yogurt Tap. Who knew low-cal could taste so good!
I've also been inquiring pretty much everywhere I go (i.e. the dentist's office) if they know of anyone who is hiring. Part-time, full-time......temporary.....whatever. I honestly thought it would be easy to find a part-time retail job, but that's not the case at all. I also thought that once all the college kids went back to school things would open up. Nope. Hasn't happened.
I was in Bed,Bath and Beyond the other day and filled out an application on the spot (and on a whim) when I overheard the cashier tell a girl that they needed day time help. It went so far as to me being interviewed by the store manager right then and there. He was extremely friendly and down to earth, but told me that he's had to cut some employees back to 5 hours a week to keep them on payroll. So why is he accepting applications? *sigh*
I also babysat last weekend: both Friday and Saturday night. When I sit for this child, I spend the night. So there was the driving back and forth and feeling kind of sluggish the next day(s) because like most people I don't sleep that well in a bed other than my own. But the money is nice. :)
Bottom line: I've been preoccupied with the job situation. I have to be honest and say that I'm not used to not getting whatever job I'm interested in. The last two part-time jobs I had the employer called ME. I didn't even have to apply. I'm fortunate in that it's not critical that I work full-time, but I DO need to work at least part-time.
If anyone has any suggestions, I'd love to hear them!:)

Hmm...have you checked the nearby universities? Emory, Agnes Scott, etc. might be hiring administrative assistants and whatnot. I remember Emory having a lot of job openings when I was looking for freelance writing jobs around Atlanta. Here's the listing site:
ReplyDeletehttp://emory.hr.emory.edu/careers/index.html
Jill: I checked with Emory when I first got here. I was told there is a hiring freeze. I haven't checked with Agnes Scott yet b/c I was pretty sure all the jobs would be filled by students during the summer. I will check with them now, though.
ReplyDeleteThanks for the link! :)
I understand this so very well, Pissy. I'm in the same sort of position. It's maddening. But, on the other hand, I want you to know that every time you find a picture for your blog, I always think, "Damn! She finds great pictures!! How does she do that?! Where does she find them?! How come I don't find such cool things?!?!?!" Good thing I love you as much as I do, or I'd be jealous.
ReplyDeleteI'm a bit confused, but I thought you lived in Alabama and Atlanta was your getaway place??
ReplyDeleteWhat about a dog-walking gig? You're good with the pooches and would be able to be outside people-watching and picture-taking while walking the brutes.
ReplyDeleteI like the dog-walking idea!! The college would be super fun for you too though. You have so many interests!! Just need to find some takers. I'm sorry you're frustrated. :(
ReplyDeleteAll I can say is "good luck". I'm sure a fabulous woman like you will get a good job sooner rather than later.
ReplyDeleteI'm sure you have checked all the local papers, craigs list, monster.com. etc. how about apt. manager assistant?...clothing stores, grocery store, do they have family dollar or $generals? they are always hiring..trust me..and they have lots of part time jobs..you are so smart and talented and pretty..something will pop up, just when you are least expecting it.
ReplyDeleteAround here, you can't keep a good barista long enough! Holy cow! They are always advertising for a barista!
ReplyDeleteOh wow...do you live where I live? Are we long lost soul mates? Because seriously? THIS is my life! Can't find a job I am qualified and licensed for...yet can't get even a crappy paying job because I'm overqualified. It's effin' maddening! I can't tell you how many rejections I've had in the past 3 years...and like you, I used to have jobs literally fall in my lap.
ReplyDeleteI'll pray that a great gig will open up for you really, really soon. This job market is so tough now.
Man, I liked it better when I thought you were impersonating June Cleaver with the pearls, heels, and rubber gloves.
ReplyDeleteSorry for your trouble. My new son-in-law who is a construction supervisor for a home builder in the area has started cutting lawns (in August! in Florida!) to make ends meet. I'm not suggesting you do that, but I am suggesting that it's tough all over and for everyone.
Do you have Publix supermarkets where you are? Great company, great benefits, raises every 6 months, and business is good... everyone still has to eat. If not Publix, then maybe your local grocery store?
Keep us posted on the job hunt.
Love your blog!
Holly: yes, it IS maddening! It's like COME ON!!!! Hire me! I'd be a good employee! LOL
ReplyDeleteGlad you enjoy the pictures I find. Looking for pictures for the blog is something I enjoy doing. :)
yorksnbeans: My place here started out to be that. BUT (and I should have said this sooner) I knew I'd have to contribute financially to the upkeep of it. And I should. There is no reason I can't work. Other than the "not-being-able-to-find-a-job" thing. I'm still far, far more fortunate than most in that I can simply move back to Alabama full-time and not have to work at all.
So Not: I looked into dog walking/sitting when I first moved here. Very competitive and dog owners prefer the sitter be certified, which is expensive. I would love that though. :)
FBI: Oh, I know something will work out. It's just turning out to be more difficult than I'd thought it would be.
Deep Kick Girl: Aww...Thank you! that is so sweet and encouraging! :)
jackie sue: There are Dollar Stores here and there, but nothing like there are in Alabama. Thank you for your encouraging words. You're always so supportive. :)
Maggie: I think it would be fun to work at a Starbucks. Don't know if I could keep up, though! ;-)
Mommy Cracked: Ah! A job seeking soul mate! LOL Yes, your situation sounds like mine. Although it hasn't been three years for me. THAT is really tough! Being over-qualified is so frustrating. Just because we're over-qualified doesn't mean we can't do the job. Give us a chance! :) Good luck! :)
Alix: Well....I sort of still am like the June Cleaver idea you have in your head. This is my second home, after all. ;-) I could just go back to my house in Alabama and kick back and not work at all....have lunch at the club everyday then go to the pool....or sit on the deck in the evenings by the fire pit...then get in the hot tub... But I feel that it's only fair that I contribute.
I hate to hear that about your son-in-law. I know things are tough all over.
There are Publix supermarkets here. I was thinking of trying Target if nothing else works out. I'll have to put Publix on the list too. :)
Thanks! :)