
I don't know if any of y'all are aware of this....but it's not just all shopping, home decor, working out and bitching here at the casa.
No.
There's also plenty of t.v. watching and just generally being lazy....but that's a post for another day.
Today's post is about another favorite activity of mine: reading.
No.
Not just trashy gossip rags!
I read books too.
Seriously!
....so because I love y'all so much, I've decided that on occasion, I'll share a review of one of my favorite books with you.
No.
Not a review that I've written.
I read.
I don't write.
The following review was taken from the 'Time Magazine 100 Books of all time' list.
Well..."....100 books of all time" as of 2005, that is...
I've read this book twice...and am about to read it for the third time.
I'm one of those weird people who can read a book I truly love again and again.
This is one of those books.......
Kathy, Tommy and Ruth are students at Hailsham, a very exclusive, very strange English private school. They are treated well in every respect, but as they grow older they come to realize that there is a secret that haunts their lives: Their teachers regard them with fear and pity, and they don't know why. Once they learn the secret it is already far, far too late for them to save themselves. Set in a darkling alternate-universe version of England, and told with dry-eyed, white-knuckled restraint, Never Let Me Go is an improbable masterpiece, a science fiction horror story written as high tragedy by a master literary stylist. It's postmodern in its conception, but Ishiguro isn't playing games or chasing trends: The human drama of Never Let Me Go, its themes of atrocity and acceptance, are timeless and, sadly, permanent.—L.G.
From the TIME Archive:
—TIME Magazine, Apr. 11, 2005 (Read This Review)


i just read the tinroof blow down by james lee burke..I am going around recommending it to everyone..such a great book..
ReplyDeleteI think this might just be one of the books I pick up before I go back in the hospital! It sounds wicked cool! Thanks, girl!
ReplyDeletehmmmm interesting. I love to read. I'm reading the latest one by Paul Theroux, the Elephant something or other.
ReplyDeleteI'm not a big sci-fi fan but I'm going to check this one out. Also, if you've not read these two, they are well worth it.
ReplyDeleteThe Kite Runner
A Thousand Splendid Suns
I am going to the bookstore at lunch time, to grab my latest copy of Rolling Stone magazine...I will check it out!
ReplyDeleteI love to read too!
How funny that you're posting this - I've been meaning to email *you* with a book recommendation... (I swear I'll get my act together soon...)
ReplyDeleteI'll def. see if I can get my mitts on this... I loved the last book recommendation that I got from you.
Even though it was the most creepy-ass book I've ever read.
And gave me nightmares.
And may have scarred me deeply and lastingly...
I've been listening to the audio versions of Davis Sedaris' books. My first was "Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim." It was so good, I had to go back and listen to his earlier books.
ReplyDeleteThe first one (Barrel Fever) was just OK. The second (Naked) was pretty good. I'm expecting the next two to be very good, but I can't recommend "Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim" enough.
Ooohhh! My book club read this and it was soooo good. I really enjoyed it. We're reading "Love in the Time of Cholera." It's also very good. Haven't seen the movie,yet. Here are some others that we've read: Girl with the Pearl Earring and Time Traveller's Wife, also worth reading.
ReplyDeleteYes, I'm a book geek, too. It's a great escape for me.
I can't wait to read your TV post. I watch a lot of TV too.
ReplyDeleteWow! You are passionate about this book, just by the way you describe it. I can relate though. I have a few books like that, where I read them over and over again.
ReplyDeleteHave a great Weekend
ReplyDeletePissy - I just read this book a few months ago. It was fabulous. However, I didn't like his other books - they didn't have the same feel to them as NLMG did.
ReplyDeleteYou didn't answer the big question: Do you read naked?
ReplyDeleteIm like you Pissy....if I truly like a book I can read it again in a few years and totally enjoy it again. I just bought Ann Rules new book yesterday, Im gonna start it soon. I hate it when they come out with the same book but it has a new cover on it..some times I fall for it and buy it again, only to cuss like a drunken sailor when I discover Ive already read it.
ReplyDeleteI absolutely LOVE to read....but I just have so little time to do so. Maybe that should be one of my resolutions!
ReplyDeleteMe, too! Me, too! I re-read all my favorite books. Lots of times. It's like coming home to old friends. Right now I am re-reading (for the third time) "Doomsday Book" by Connie Willis. I rarely read sci-fi, but this particular book is absolutely riveting. Even though I know what's going to happen, my knuckles are still white with fear, and I still laugh at the funny parts.
ReplyDeleteIshiguro is a wonderful writer and novelist. It always makes me sad that my university library doesn't carry any of his titles.
ReplyDeleteK.
He wrote a book called Remains of the Day which I loved.
ReplyDeleteI am the same I can read books I love over and over again.
ReplyDeleteI will look out for this one!