On Saturday (Jan 2) I looked at a one bedroom apartment in an old house directly next door to my current building. The house is broken up into 11 apartments. Two 2 bedroom apartments upstairs, 4 on the ground floor (one of which is the property manager's office) and the rest daylight basement level studios.
The following is an email I sent to my girls after seeing the apartment. Nothing has been changed.
Hey!
Saw the apartment and I liked it!
Man! I wish you could have seen it! There was not a visible inch of space that this chick does not have some sort of crap displayed. To give you an idea: she has a salt and pepper shaker collection on the top ledges of her bedroom window sills. Yeah. Crazy, cat lady sh*t like that. Even the back of the front door was covered with stuff. A good sized Christmas tree took pride of place DEAD CENTER of the living room. Of course you can hardly walk in the living room for all the sh*t in there, but still. LOL Oh Oh oh!!!! She EVEN had a SECOND refrigerator in the living room! One of those small ones.

Putting aside the fact that an episode of "Hoarders" could be filmed there, I still see the potential.
Hardwood floors, lots of windows and light.
There are two front living room windows. One side living room window that lets in some lovely light.
The kitchen has a window that looks out over the front porch area and the street. kitchen can be entered from either the living room or dining room. Kitchen is a galley with minimal counter space but way more than I have here.
The dining room is small, but more functional than the one we saw in the one bedroom in my building. It has a large opening like to my dining room area...only larger. So really it could be an extension of the living room if I wanted. There is a massive closet in there like the one in my living room.
going from the dining room is a small hallway leading to the bathroom (off to the left) and the bedroom at the very back of the apartment.
The bathroom isn't bad. plain. lower sink than what I have, but better than that heinous one in the one bedroom. Another window.
Bedroom is great! 2 sets of double windows. Granted.....one looks at the back of my current building and the other sort of over the parking lot, but the room is a good size and the windows let in a lot of light. Ikea curtains, here I come! LOL She has all SORTS of crap in the bedroom....like at least 3 dressers. So even though the closet in there is SMALL, I can have more storage space in drawers since there's room for furniture.
Honestly, you would have to see the amount of sh*t she has to believe it. I'll tell you more when I see you. It has to be described in person.
Surprisingly enough, the place didn't have a smell. I say this because she's Chinese and cooks all the time. There were at least 3 different good sized shelving units in the living and dining room stuffed with food. She also has a large cat. Wouldn't have known. We had trouble finding him in all the crap. I think he was hiding under the Christmas tree.

The entire front porch area is mine (according to Windy). Like i could have furniture out there if I wanted to.
And I can park in front of my door if I beat everybody else to the spot. haha! No more wrestling with the massive front door of this building. Holla!
Basically the place has lots and lots of potential and will be adorable when we get a hold of it. The tenant isn't moving out until end of March. But what's one more month in my little place? I'm fine with it.
The apartment will be painted before i move in. I'm going to ask Windy if I can choose the color. Like I'll even buy it if they'll paint it the color I want.
Exciting!!!!!
p.s. Yes, this will be a blog post.
It's too good not to be.The new apartment is one of the "irons" I referred to in an earlier post that would take place in the new year. I'm very excited about it and look forward to moving the beginning of April.
P.S. No intentional disrespect to any cat ladies out there. *Meow*


bwhahahahaha
ReplyDeleteLOL
hoarders for sure!
Hope you get it!
I'm a bit sad you have to move, I thought your wee apartment was so cute.. in saying that, the new apartment sounds great too! I cannot believe anyone lives like that.. what a mess!
ReplyDeleteCats... not for me!
Sage: LOL No kidding! I couldn't believe the stuff in that place! Thanks! :)
ReplyDeleteChris: Awwww...don't be sad. I COULD stay here. It is cute and I like it. I just want something a big bigger and definitely want an outdoor space.
I can't believe people live like that either. Crazy!!!!
I'm not a cat person myself. They don't bother me. I simply prefer dogs. :)
I'm surprised you could see through all that to appreciate what was underneath!
ReplyDeletehehe still funny the second time! Loved your 'p.s.' hehe
ReplyDeletePissy... moving into a new home is like shedding your old skin and emerging a butterfly!
ReplyDeleteHow exciting for you. I wish you happy trails... happy home. I love you and I totally will help you move! Cuz that's what friends are for.
I'm glad you were able to see the potential of the place under all the cat lady crazy sh*t. I hope the move goes smoothly and look forward to seeing what you do to the place.
ReplyDeleteHope it all works out. Current place is very cute and I know you'll make the new place even cuter. You have style and a great eye for detail. You could make a cardboard box look gorgeous!
ReplyDeleteour place could go on hoarders even though we've downsized by at 80% (moving from a house to a 2 bedroom main floor suite with no storage has been an adventure in simplifying.
ReplyDeleteexcellent that you've found a place where you'll be happy.
It may need a steam fumigation before you move in?
ReplyDeleteOh, Oh, Oh!!!! I am excited! I loved following your adventures making your current wee spot into your wonderful home and now 'we' get to see you do it all again! ARRROOOO says Rory & Fiona. Mom says can't wait, can't wait, can't wait! That's great news to start a new year, Pissy!
ReplyDeleteholy that's a lot of shit...sounds really cute..and more room is more room..the porch sounds terrific..good luck and what a way to start off the new year.
ReplyDeleteMore space, light, and porch? Hell yeah.
ReplyDeleteHoarders! Oh man.
ReplyDeleteI still have my three little rescued kittens, should you want to go "bi-pet" for 2010, they love my dog, so no prob with mixing!
So, I'm not supposed to live like this???
ReplyDeleteJust kidding. Sounds fabulous!!!!
The landlord will be so happy to have someone like you instead. No tellin gwhat kind of creepy crawlies are under all that. I'm with the idea of a fumigation just to make sure.
ReplyDeleteWhen you first started describing it, my thought was "I bet it has a smell"! Glad it didn't:)
ReplyDeleteyorksnbeans: I guess it's because I've seen so many apartments and houses that have been "re-done", I'm always willing to look beyond what current residents have done to a place. :)
ReplyDeletefbi: hee hee! glad you liked it! ;-)
Alix: Thanks so much!!! and don't think I won't call you to help me move! ;-)
MB: Thanks so much! I'm excited about the space and already thinking of what I'm going to do with it. :)
Deep Kick Girl: Thank you so much for the lovely compliment! I'll try to do my best with the new place. :)
dykewife: Whoa! That's quite a downsize! No storage is always a pain. :( Really...can anyone ever have enough storage space?
dave: it might need one. good idea! :)
Holly: :) I'm excited too! I already have lots and lots of idea for the new place. Having an outdoor area is really something I enjoy, so I'm super pumped about that!
Please give Rory and Fiona big hugs for me! :)
Jacque Sue: I KNOW! I was speechless for about a minute. You know that's a long time for me! LOL Thank you! :)
Rainwolf: Right?!?!? :)
Brian: Hoarders=ACK!!! Awwww...you still have the kitties? So sweet! I think those kitties are yours for life. You saved their lives! They can't leave you! ;-) Thanks for the offer, though! :)
Dejoni: Well, YOU can live like that. You're cute, you can pull it off. ;-)
Catsy: The property manager who showed me the apartment was quite taken aback at the amount of crap in the apartment. Watching her reaction was pretty funny. LOL
I'm glad that I live so close to the property, that way I can stay on them to clean it the way I want it cleaned, etc. Also the paint issue....they're going to have a "supervisor" they weren't expecting! ;-)
Debbie: I was SHOCKED that it didn't smell. Seriously shocked! LOL I'm glad it didn't too. I probably wouldn't have wanted it if it had. :)