Apparently Alabama fleas drink Frontline for breakfast.
Andy was infested. I won't go into the gory details.
Suffice it to say that it's sorta like when kids come home from school with head lice.
My instructions?
Bathe all three dogs with Dawn dishwashing liquid today and then again in 5 days.
Andy was also given 3 different medications to take and he's being shaved bald tomorrow morning.
Moose is being groomed (shaved down too) on Monday morning..... groomer couldn't fit them both in tomorrow....
Here is Moose before his 'Dawn ' bath....

during his bath.....

a close-up....
doesn't he look pitiful?
doesn't he look pitiful?

p.s. I have washed all their bedding in hot water and cleaned the entire house.
Now I'm going to take a Dawn bath myself because I itch from just seeing all those fleas on Andy.
P.S.S. I don't call 'Moose' "Moose" anymore. I call him 'Little Mo- Mo'. I think it suits him better. (Sweet Man even calls him Mo-Mo. Ha! and he said he never would!)

I itch from reading this crap. The poor dog - talk about a set of "help me" eyes. Damn. Hope you have washed away all them little buggers. They were cute in the old Bugs Bunny cartoons when the yhad the flea circus on the dog's bag playing ragtime music.
ReplyDeletePoor babies!!!!!!!!!!!!
ReplyDeleteSome people swear by peppermint oil for fleas.
Are you taping oven mitts to their paws so they can't scratch, like our moms did to us when we had chicken pox? :)
ReplyDeletePoor wittle neglectorino's. =(
Poor babies! I think that furry kids are sometimes harders than human ones!
ReplyDeleteAw, that sucks. You can get some of the flea oil from the vet that works well for our cats.
ReplyDeleteHope your babies get better soon.
The best thing to do is to keep vacuuming - do it frequently - and dump the bag. That's the best way to beat them, and I know this firsthand from the animal rescue where I volunteer.
ReplyDeleteHe doesn't look happy. Hopefully when he dried off he looked better.
ReplyDeleteoh. my. god. that pooch is adorable. and the look on his face when wet says: 'mommy, why you puttin' me in all this sudsy water? (i've never used that sentence in my life in any context -- just so you know.)
ReplyDeletebut what about andy -- any pics of him?
rat: I'm still itching!
ReplyDeleteI remember those cartoons....they lied!!! :(
rhys: I know! Peppermint oil? I'll have to google that. I'll try anything at this point. I feel so sorry for them. :(
I'd put oven mitts on Andy's paws if he'd leave them alone!
hippo: they are NOT neglected! If they were, Andy wouldn't have been taken to the vet!
mimi: I knew you'd understand!
signgurl: it really does suck :(
I hope they get better soon too! Thanks! :)
cynical girl: We vaccumn the floors and the tile. We don't have any carpet in the house. I've also heard of putting a flea collar in the vaccumn cleaner bag helps.
mike: he wasn't happy at all, but he never complains.
arcturus: he really is adorable. Everybody loves him.
We couldn't take any pictures of Andy b/c he weighs 40 pounds so it takes both of us to bathe him. One to kind of hold onto him and the other to scrub all the spots. Plus~he was the only one truly infested. So we washed him twice. It was misery! But he feels so much better from the bath and the meds...so it was worth it!
That look says it all.
ReplyDeleteOh man...I am sorry to hear about the infestation...poor guys!
ReplyDeleteGood luck!
Aww, poor puppies. They'll be bald!
ReplyDelete
ReplyDeleteNEGLECTED!
Been there done that. We had a foster dog last year that came straight from the Alabama track and we had Alabama fleas. They are like mutant fleas, they do drink frontline. They are awful!
ReplyDeleteBorax helps (sprinkle it around and vacumn it up) also I have heard that a little garlic powder in the dogs food helps. Mine dont like the garlic so I dont know if that really works or not.
Fleas are the worst!
ReplyDeleteWhy do dogs look so pitiful when you bath them?
I can't believe you got your husband to call him "Mo-Mo"-priceless.
Cute doggies! Isn't funny how a wet dog seems to reduce in size by by like three times from what it normally looks like.
ReplyDeleteI had this problem once and it was vet recommended to use a flea and tick shampoo called Adams (blue bottle, red/white label), it's amazing. Also, they make a product you can brush into your carpets to kill fleas, then you vacuum it up. One more thing, I sound like the Advice Lady, I know, but to see if you still have fleas, put a pan of shallow water on the floor under a nightlight, the fleas jump toward the light, land in the water and drown.
ReplyDeleteI had an infestation problem with a cat, so I know how you feel. Poor puppies.
Dawn? Really?
ReplyDeleteDid it work?
The Nowhere puppy had them, and as long as we do the Frontline Plus... she's fine.
It just takes 2-3 weeks for the fleas to cycle out initially. If we keep her on it reliegeously... no fleas.
Igh Pissy, it's NO FUN. Been there. Done that.
Can I please come over and play with Lil' Mo-Mo? Must...squeeze...the cuteness!
ReplyDeletePoor punkin baby. I just want to squeeze him tight... and I'm not even a dog person.
ReplyDeleteI hate fleas and flies. Frontline always works for me. But I also liked the idea of putting a flea collar in the vaccumm, I never thought of that. Hope you get rid of them Pissy..they are a pain. One of my gfs who worked in the bank said her dog had fleas, while she was working she watched one of the fleas jump off of her unto a womans glasses that she was waiting on..LOL.
ReplyDeleteMoose a.k.a. Little Mo Mo is gonna have your ass for posting these intimate private pics of 'm
ReplyDeleteaww poor puppies!
ReplyDeleteFleas suck, I hope you don't have to deal with them again
There is very little that is more pitiful looking that a dog getting a bath. But in the same way, they are even more cute when they are like that.
ReplyDeleteLove the look of your blog btw.
hoping that your treatment works
ReplyDeleteick - fleas, lice - shiver - ick
----
dogs look so sad and forlorn when their being given a bath
and they give that "i'm so trusting of you not to harm me" look when you do
even when they know that they'll be happier after their bath - our dog knows he always gets couch time after a bath (on top of a covering blanket or towel) so he actually will jump into the tub with little prompting
but he still looks so abjectly sorry while in it
Hey, at least it isn't head lice.
ReplyDeletePoor little mo mo. *L*
CP.
Awww poor babies....
ReplyDeleteYou're right. He DOES look pitiful! LOL
No help over here in GA either and we've tried about everything. Our female is flea free but the male - can't win for trying. I found Palmolive works the best and the Hartz flea dip stuff - forget mixing it with water. Put it in a spray bottle full strength and spritz it on them. Rubbing it in as you groom.
ReplyDeleteI'm with Rhys also on the Peppermint Oil - I've used the Menthol Alcohol and sponge bathed them. They smell fresh, are cool and it seems to work vs. bathing them all the time.
I'm late posting... Imagine that!
ReplyDeleteI had to take my Skipper to the vet last week. He kept scratching and scratching although I use frontline, once a month, on all my dogs.
Vet said he has a flea allergy and they had to do a treatment for fleas on him! He said there have been many people in there in the last few weeks who have pets having the same problem! Looks like they would have told me this $84 ago...
Hey Big Pissy!! Its been a while so i got on here to see whats new and i see that you have a third addition (Moose) and he is IDENTICAL to Aspen (mom's dog) soooo adorable! Where did you get him? and When?? I'm so out of the loop. Hope your doing well and ill talk to you soon.
ReplyDeleteHee he looks so pathetic :(
ReplyDeleteI have to thank everyone for all their sweet comments and great suggestions for my "flea situation"!
ReplyDeleteI know I'll be using several of the suggestions and I'll let y'all know what works.
Thanks again!
p.s. Lil' MoMo says "hi!"
dawn also works in the event of a skunk encounter.
ReplyDelete