Sunday, December 30, 2007

R.I.P

"Andy"9-8-92
~
12-27-07

The Power of the Dog

There is sorrow enough in the natural way
From men and women to fill our day;
And when we are certain of sorrow in store,
Why do we always arrange for more?
Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.

Buy a pup and your money will buy
Love unflinching that cannot lie--
Perfect passsion and worship fed
By a kick in the ribs or a pat on the head.
Nevertheless it is hardly fair
To risk your heart to a dog to tear.

When the fourteen years which Nature permits
Are closing in asthma, or tumour, or fits,
And the vet's unspoken prescription runs
To lethal chambers or loaded guns,
Then you will find--it's your own affair--
But ... you've given your heart to a dog to tear.

When the body that lived at your single will,
With its whimper of welcome, is stilled (how still!)
When the spirit that answered your every mood
Is gone--wherever it goes--for good,
You will discover how much you care,
And will give your heart to a dog to tear.

We've sorrow enough in the natural way,
When it comes to burying Christian clay.
Our loves are not given, but only lent,
At compound interest of cent per cent.
Though it is not always the case, I believe,
That the longer we've kept 'em, the more do we grieve:
For, when debts are payable, right or wrong,
A short-term loan is as bad as a long--
So why in--Heaven (before we are there)
Should we give our hearts to a dog to tear?

~Rudyard Kipling

28 comments:

  1. Thank you, Rat. I appreciate that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pissy, I'm sooooo very sorry to hear that. I can't imagine how tough this is on you.

    {{{ HUGE HUGS }}}

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jenn, thanks so much. This is hard on me....but it's really harder on Sweet Man. Andy was his dog. I mean, Andy loved me...but he worshipped Sweet Man....

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so so so sorry. I can't imagine your heartache. HUGS!

    ReplyDelete
  5. sunny, thank you. I know that you understand...being a "dog person" yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aww, Pissy, I'm sorry to hear about Andy. How sad. He looked like such a sweet dog. ((((HUGS))) to you and Sweet Man.

    ReplyDelete
  7. wisdomstuff: thanks, sweetie. Andy was a sweet dog....to us.

    He pretty much hated everybody else! lol

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm sorry to read that. Losing a loved one is always terrible, whether they have two legs or four.

    ReplyDelete
  9. BP~ I'm so very sorry to read about Andy. My heart aches for you and Sweet Man. {{{HUGS}}}

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh Pissy......I am so so very sorry...to you and Sweet Man.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so sorry. I know he was a special part of your family and will be missed. Hang in there...both of you! *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my gawd!!! I know how one can get attached to their pets. I missed my little doggie terribly when I was in Iraq.

    I'm so sorry!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Awww, Pissy - I so sorry.
    I'd hug you too but it looks like you're about to drown in them. (wee smile)
    Hope the hurtin' becomes endurable soon.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Aww, Darlin. I'm so sorry for you and Sweet Man. I actually cried when I saw this. My hubby and I lost "his dog" (the only one he'll ever truly claim as "his") a few years ago and neither of us has ever gotten over it. My thoughts are with you. Our "pets" are people, too, and just as much family as anyone else. (((hugs)))

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm sorry, BP, I really am very sorry to hear this. Think of the 14 years of love and happiness that Andy provided -- and that you provided him.

    ReplyDelete
  16. maggie: thank you...and you are so right. :(

    azn8tive: Thanks for your kind words about Andy...he was a sweetie pie...

    catch: thank you, sweetie.

    simplypink: Thank you...he really was a special part of our family.

    pud: Thanks, doll. Dog lovers always understand.....

    kali: thanks so much...and I can always use another hug... ;-)

    fridaysweb: thank you so much...I can tell from reading your comment that you truly understand what we're going through....

    Hugs back to you.

    arc: thank you for your kind words...and you are so right: we have to try to dwell on the good times and how fortunate we were to have him as long as we did.

    Thanks also for phoning...that meant a lot to me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Aw, Pissy, really sorry to hear about your loss. I have a 9 yr old Shep who shadows me everywhere I go in this house. I know how it is.

    ReplyDelete
  18. whitenoise: thank you....and I can tell that you know exactly how we feel.

    ReplyDelete
  19. RIP Andy. =( So hard to lose a family member. xo.

    ReplyDelete
  20. ann(ie) thank you so much....and it really is....

    ReplyDelete
  21. Aww, Pissy. :( Andy was so cute. *sniff* Losing a fur baby hurts like hell.

    ReplyDelete
  22. eve: I know...thanks....

    mommy cracked: Thanks....Andy was a cutie...and you're right: it DOES hurt like hell.

    I cried again this morning....

    ReplyDelete
  23. I am so sorry about your fur baby. We lost our 7-year-old German Shepherd last February. We still cry when we think of him, and with the anniversary of his death coming...just too much to deal with sometimes. I'm thinking about you.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Kim: Thank you so much for your kind words.

    I hope you make it through the anniversary of your fur baby's passing without too much pain....

    We just have to keep reminding ourselves that they're not in pain anymore....

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh I'm sorry Pissy, what a sucky time for it to happen too.

    ((hugs))

    ReplyDelete
  26. butterfly girl: thank you...and you're so right about the timing..... :(

    ReplyDelete

C'mon! Leave a comment.....you know you want to!