
Picture it: me.....in First Baptist Church hell.
Ok....it was actually a bridal shower.
But it may as well have been the "fellowship hall" of Hell's First Baptist Church .
I know this because in my other life I was a member.
All right.....all right....stop laughing and keep reading.
Anyway.....this past Saturday afternoon I sucked it up (after much bitching), washed my hair, put on some make-up and some clothes that I haven't worn since I worked full-time, and took my ass to the bridal shower for the daughter of a colleague of Sweet Man's.
"Why?" You ask.....
Only because this colleague had come to a bridal shower for Gabelle. Who now owes me, by the way.
As I pull up in front of the house, I notice that none of the cars already parked in the long semi-circular drive-way or on the street were cute like mine. These were all "old lady" looking sedans in boring colors with a few SUVs dotted among them.
Bad sign.
I should have kept going.
I'm met at the door by one of the seven hostesses (who I later learned were all members of the mother-of-the-bride's bridge club.....another bad sign....people still play bridge?) who herds me and a few other guests straight to the guest book in a corner of the foyer, and from there directly into a large formal dining room.
I was actually looking forward to this part.
Food at these things is usually good.
Um....not this time.
On the beautifully appointed table were two cakes, a small plate of fresh strawberries and another small plate of cheese straws. For drinks, we had a choice of raspberry iced tea, coffee or water.
WTF?!?
These seven bitches could only come up with two cakes and a few strawberries?!?!?
Where was the table laden with finger foods that I was expecting??!?
"Well, shit!", I thought to myself as I looked for the plate with the biggest slice of seven layer chocolate cake, "I got dressed up for this?"
Next, we were led into a huge family room-slash-kitchen where we sat in a semi-circle and watched as the bride-to-be tore into a massive pile of gifts while trying not to untie any of the ribbons decorating the boxes (don't ask).
There were so many women packed into this room that they had to bring in folding chairs.
I did a quick look around and determined that the medium age of the attendees had to be 60.
I hadn't been surrounded by this much polyester, bad hairstyles and SAS shoes since the 80's.
At this point, I considered excusing myself early due to my allergy to poor fashion choices, but I wanted to finish my cake first.
I shouldn't have worried. These "hostesses" apparently had this bridal shower shit down to a science.
They had us "fed", the gifts opened and us out of there in an hour.
I know.
I was surprised too.
But mostly relieved.
I drove as fast as I could to my favorite barbeque place for some real food.
Damn cheap ass Baptist bitches!
*editor's note* No actual Baptists were insulted in the posting of this entry.

SAS shoes!??! Damn. You were in hell. They probably weren't even red. I'm imagining....taupe....or WHITE! ;)
ReplyDeleteI love the * note. Hilarious! Great photo. I'm tempted to steal it & post it but then my blog will really just become a recylced Pissy blog.
ReplyDeleteStories like this make me so so so glad I am a guy. It's a whole different universe that makes no sense to me at all why there even are such event / why anyone would even want to go & why people play bridge.
I did understand the RUN LIKE HELL & GET BBQ portion of the tale!!!
:-)
Sorry for your anguish.
shopper: I really WAS in Hell.
ReplyDeleteThe SAS shoes were....are you ready?...BLACK!!! ;-)
rat: heh! Glad you noticed the *note.
Please feel free to steal the photo. I did. ;-)
Thank you so much for understanding my anguish. I should have gone with my initial reaction to the invitation~which was to not attend and just send a gift! *LOL*
wow...why didnt they just say...send a gift and dont even bother showing up? That is the chinziest meal I have ever heard of. It screams of cheapos!!!!! Definately not the place for us young chicks to hang out!!!!
ReplyDeleteSo, I am guessing there was no stripper?
ReplyDeleteSounds like fun! haha
ReplyDeleteBAPTISTS!!
P.S> I'm not really dead. Just don't tell Arc! Very busy...but I still think of you everyday =)
An hour long is all it was?? Wow! Why weren't they all out tacky and just have you ring the doorbell and drop the gift off. I think that would have went over better than that cheap-ass, lame party.
ReplyDeletethat sounds inifinitely brutal
ReplyDeletepraise the lord it was only an hour!
Funny post! I laughed really hard at your reaction to the drink options. I'm surprised they let you in... After all you were wearing make-up.
ReplyDeleteLMAO!
ReplyDeleteThis is why I don't do showers, if at all possible.
But was the cake good? LOL
ReplyDeleteI think you must be my Mother's (Good) Twin! You're so like us! We look forward to the food at events like that. My favorite is actually something easy... the tray of fresh cut vegatables with dip. Celery, brocoli, cucmbers, radishes, green peppers, etc.
ReplyDeleteAny combo of these on a tray puts me on cloud nine!
L.
*notice I said 'good' twin. I love my Mom to death but she's agravates me to no end... probably because we're alike in quite a few ways. Not totally alike, nobody wants to be like their Mom, but alike enough to piss each other off after too much time together!*
That really WAS the shower from hell. They could have at least had a veggie tray. Cheap-ass bitches. "Drop your loot over there and get the F out." Nice.
ReplyDeleteBridal showers are the worst. And showers at Baptist churches are even worse than that. Also wedding receptions at Baptist church fellowship halls. I went to one years ago that had both the regualr white wedding cake, and a "groom's cake," which had a red toy pick-up truck parked on top with sugar-frosted grapes loaded up in the truck's bed. But it was chocolate, so I had some.
ReplyDeleteMaybe next time they can just install a drive through in the Cul-de-sac.
ReplyDeleteAwesome. Want me to smack you?
ReplyDeleteYeah, those Bible-thumpers really know how to throw a party.
ReplyDeletehahaha now i'm really curious about who it was having the shower. and lol at little p's suggestion of a drive-through wedding shower. that's a vegas kind of idea!
ReplyDeletehahaha... oh man. See, the hour thing really worked in your favor. Less time to be tortured!
ReplyDeleteOMG, that was funny.
ReplyDeleteawww, shit. Glad you made it out alive!
ReplyDeleteThat so sounds like something members of our own Jerry Falwell's cult, er, flock would do. At least you escaped with your sanity. You did, didn't you? ;-)
ReplyDeleteAt least you've already got the perfect thank you card for that "f*cking fabulous" party.
ReplyDeleteThat's scary as hell. I'm so glad we moved from the South when I was young. It's bad enough here in the Midwest.
ReplyDeleteThank God it was quick. Someone owes you bigtime.
2 cakes? I would have walked my ass outta there unless provided at least 3 for my consumption only! LOL
ReplyDeleteWhere were the drinks?
ReplyDeleteMy grandmother plays bridge. She's 77.
ReplyDeleteHot Lips
Some thoughts....
ReplyDeleteHere is the First and Only Baptist Church of Hell: http://www.landoverbaptist.com/
Of course when you're in Hell, it's good to know Proper Etiquette: http://bettybowers.com/epistle7.html
Did this shower take place in Franklin? Cause it's sounds exactly like a Christmas houtie toutie Franklin Womens club bullshit thing I had to do in November.....
ReplyDeleteWow..makes you wanna ask "where is the love?"
ReplyDeletetc
Black SAS????? I'm scared to imagine what they were wearing with it. :(
ReplyDeleteHow boring. Nothing to eat while your sitting there but cake? Yuck. An hour is like forever in a situation like that but you survived!!!
ReplyDeleteNice touch with the editors note.
ReplyDelete