Sunday, November 15, 2009

I'm trying not to.....


I've considered posting about this before and could never bring myself to do it.

Even now....while I'm typing this....I've typed whole paragraphs and deleted them...not sure exactly how I wanted to say what I want to say.

So I'm just going to say it: my husband and I are separated. We have no plans to divorce at this time. We consider each other good friends, and economically for both of us it makes the most sense to remain married.

When I first moved to Atlanta, it was with the intent that I would go back and forth to Alabama. Spend time in both places. This would be a trial of sorts for both of us to see how we liked being on our own. Over the course of the summer and then into the fall, I spent less and less time going to Alabama. My husband NEVER comes to Atlanta. He doesn't like it here. At all. I respect that. Just as he respects the fact that I'm bored with living in small town lower Alabama.

These past six months have taught us both quite a bit about ourselves: Mike has found that he enjoys living alone. He's 62 and this is the first time in his life he's ever lived alone. He's enjoying being able to do his own thing (golf 6 days a week) without having to worry about anyone (me) being upset about the amount of time he spends on the golf course.

I've found that (shockingly enough) I can~ in fact~ live without a dog in my home. This is the first time in 21 years that I haven't had a dog sitting right next to me as I sit on a couch. Yes, I miss my "boys", but I know they're better off, happier, etc....living in surroundings that they're used to. I'm SO fortunate that both of my daughters have dogs (the adorable Reuben and the sweet Sadie) that I get to spend so much time with....so that lessens the pain of being away from my own pups.

I just realized something: doesn't the fact that all I've written about is Mike's golf and our dogs speak volumes about how little there is left of what most people consider a "normal" marriage?

Mike and I have regular phone conversations and they're always amicable. There is no anger and no remorse. We spent months and months before I moved "discussing" the state of our marriage and what led to its decline. There is fault on both sides. But really...as cliche' as it sounds....we simply grew apart. We're both beyond being angry, laying blame, crying, discussing the same issues over and over again. We've done that. And this is where we are now.

We both feel lucky that we've come to this point. That we can speak on a regular basis without there being any angry words exchanged. We share too many years and too many good memories to not be friends. That would be sad. We've discussed how we want to remain friends and be a part of each others lives. I can't imagine it being any other way. I realize that could change....for me or for Mike. But right now....this year....this November....he's coming to Atlanta to spend Thanksgiving with all of us here in Atlanta. And he's bringing the pups.

That's good enough for me.

23 comments:

  1. It sad when we grow apart from people we love. It takes strength to admit it and move on to a happier place. Do whatever is going to make you happy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always remember something i read in lucille balls autobiography...she said she was always taking care of someone, desi, her kids, the studio, the show, her mother, desi's family..and she had nothing left for herself..so she taped a note on her bathroom mirrow that said 'do what's best for lucy'...and that's what she did..so you do the same..do what's best for nancy.. i love you my friend..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sometimes space is a good thing. I've never made an issue of it, but Annie is my ex. We lived apart for 5 years and figured out we made better friends than anything else, and it made more sense for us to live together than apart. Hopefully you and hubs will find that space too.
    Like Granny said, take care of you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you and Mike did the right thing... and in a nice way. I had figured out AGES ago that you were seperated... not rocket science that one mate.
    I am sure you are in a happier place now... and it's much better to be happy than most other things.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bet that was a tough post. You're right, after all the tears and replay it's best to recognize things and move on, too many couples wait too long for that.

    Sounds like it will be a nice family Thanksgiving, in Atlanta this time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Although it doesn't come as a surprise, it's nice hearing that you both have a very healthy attitude and respect one another. Too many times bitterness gets in the way and ruins peoples lives, including the children. It doesn't matter how old a child is, it's not easy to see parents at odds with one another. Hopefully, it will stay this way so you can both move on and enjoy the next phase in life's journey. Have a great Thanksgiving! Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It took a lot of courage for you to post this. To stick yourself out there and admit it is what it is.. I pray you continue to find peace and happiness in whatever way is best for both of you! Have a wonderfull Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  8. MB: It IS sad, and it happens so gradually. Thanks for your supportive comment. :)

    Jackie Sue: Lucy was a great gal, wasn't she? Thanks for your words of advice. That's exactly what I'm trying to do. I love you too.

    Rainwolf: Thank you so much for sharing yours and Annie's story. I can see something like that happening with me and Mike: we make great roommates. :)

    Chris: Thank you! and yes, I felt that most of you figured out my situation long ago. I just felt the need to explain it. Maybe it's the next step in moving forward? I don't know. I just typed and posted. :)

    Brian: It was a tough post. There was much more that I could have said, of course, but I'm over that too. ;-)

    Yes, I think it will be a nice Thanksgiving in Atlanta. We're all looking forward to it. :)

    yorksnbeans: You made so many good points in your comment. Thank you! While all four of our (collective) children are adults now, we still considered their feelings. They're all wonderful people and we want everyone to remain friends. I think we all will. :) Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Francine: your comment came in while I was posting mine. :)

    Thank you SO much for your comment. I really appreciate it.

    Thank you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm too new here to say anything other than make the most of your life, you only have one go at it...

    ReplyDelete
  11. OH! I guess I was just not picking up the clues... I love your blog and think that you are SUCH a FABULOUS woman - you have such a great attitude and you have the BEST TASTE (I love to see the goodies you find when you shop) and you have such a fantastic attitude about the separation...

    Your kids are grown, no one is being harmed, and I know you will still do amazing things, whether you are married, separated, or whatever!!

    And can I say I just love Yellowdog Granny's comment... Great words to remember!! Love that Lucy!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds like you're in a good place, Pissy. Good for you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. And that is the difference being grown up, secure, settled and independent makes. No need for drama. You're both doing what makes you happy and keeping your toe dipped in the pool of civility. Good for you both. And especially good for Mike for finally getting his but to Atlanta. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving. I'll be thinking of you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That was a brave and beautifully written post Pissy. TI sounds like you are both handling things well and I hope things unfold the way your would like them to.

    And I hope Thanksgiving will be wonderful for you all. I'll be thinking about you.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  15. taking care of oneself is probably the lowest priority in so many women's lives. i'm glad that you and your husband came to a resolution that works for both of you.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a tough post for you to write. I wish you all the best. I've been reading your
    blog forever but just today added myself to your followers.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Dave: new or not~you make a good point. Thank you! :)

    Valency: Awwwww....what a sweet and supportive comment~thank you! Yes, Granny has great words of wisdom. :)

    Whitenoise: I'm trying to be. Thank you! :)

    Alix: you summed it up quite nicely! Thank you! We're all looking forward to Thanksgiving. :)

    Joanna: Thank you so much. I appreciate that. :)

    dykewife: You're so right about women not taking care of themselves enough. Yes, we have and that makes me feel so much better about things. :)

    Catsy: It was, but I felt like I needed to put it out there.

    Thank you!

    and thanks for the add. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. That is the best deal I have ever heard of!
    I want that deal!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I've been reading you for quite a while now, so I can't say this came to a shock to me. But it sounds like you are both handling it in the best possible way. Much happiness to you as you begin this new chapter!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Sage: you are so funny! Let me know how your bride reacts when you tell her about "the deal". ;-)

    Kat: I knew it wouldn't be a big surprise to anyone who has read my blog for the past....even few months. :) We're trying to handle it as best we can. Believe me when I say it took us a while to get to this point.

    Thank you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I've read this several times and just now wanted to write something to you. The volume of responses to this means that you've touched us very much with this and that you wanted to share it with us.

    I hope you can feel how we support you and care about you. I wish I could hug you in real time.

    You probably know that the first Michael and I are on loving and lovely terms with each other. I can't imagine him not in my life and it's a blessing to have us both occupy the correct space in each other's lives, not a forced one that no longer fits.

    Pissy...I love you. Bravo to both of you.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Holly: Thank you so much for you comment. I DO feel the support and care for each of you, and it means a lot to me.

    I like what you said about you and the first Michael occupying the correct space in each other's lives. So well said. Which is what I totally expect from you. :)

    Love you too.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'll admit I kind of suspected this when you moved to Atlanta, but it was your story to tell if you wanted. I'm glad you did. Sometimes just seeing it in writing helps more than anything. I'm glad you are ok. I don't think this is an unusual thing by any means and I applaud you both for handling this civily. You never know what the future will bring, Miss Pissy. You just keep taking care of yourself.

    ReplyDelete

C'mon! Leave a comment.....you know you want to!