Tuesday, August 7, 2007

I don't know whether to be sad or disgusted....


so I'll just be both.

I had a case today that makes me seriously consider quitting the DNA collection job.

A foster child was brought in to be tested....a baby...barely 3 weeks old.

The "alleged father" was also there to be tested.

The "mother" is in jail.

The baby was absolutely beautiful....so sweet and tiny.

The "father"...*sigh*....the father....so sad.....suffering from the effects of Chemo...using a walker...frail...needed help getting up and down from the chair.

Turns out...there is another "alleged father".

The 12 year old son of the frail, cancer ridden man I tested today.

The "mother" of the baby is in jail for molesting the12 year old...her stepson.

She's awaiting sentencing.

I don't know when I'll be testing the 12 year old.

I can hardly stand the thought of it.

I don't know if I can do it.

I'm scheduled to go to the county jail and test the "mother" tomorrow.

I would decline testing her...mostly because it makes me furious and physically ill to think of what she did, but if I don't do it, it will just prolong the processing of the case.

So I'll do it.

My question is: how do I get a sample from her without throwing up?

32 comments:

  1. By making as little eye contact as possible and thinking about your happy place in your mind the whole time. That said, be sure to throw up right into her mouth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. rat: that means I have to get closer to her than 3 feet.

    Maybe projectile vomiting?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tell her the DNA sample must come from her eyelid.

    ReplyDelete
  4. People like that DON'T deserve children EVER! NOT FAIR! And it makes me sick too! UGH!

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW. I agree with Sunny. =o( Do you thing and go have a stiff drink.

    xo.

    ReplyDelete
  6. loops: you wanna come help? ;-)

    sunny: That's exactly what I thought! and that beautiful child will end up in foster care forever. so sad....

    ReplyDelete
  7. annie: it's times like this that I wish I DID drink! :(

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wish you did too Pissy, that just sucks, bites and blows.
    Hang in hon, hopefully fate will smile on that kid.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Be strong, Pissy. I know its in your to do your job.

    ReplyDelete
  10. People like that get to HAVE kids and I have to jump through HOOPS as a lesbian just to entertain the THOUGHT of ADOPTING?

    Breathe through your nose slowly and maybe push the needle a little harder than you have too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sicko. She'll have a front row seat in hell for that one.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Geez. I'm sorry you have to witness that.

    But take heart in this: in performing your job, you're helping to hopefully take part in some little part of justice that this baby may receive. By your actions you're helping that child. Maybe that can help you.

    I'm a firm firm believer in "you get back what you put out" This woman will indeed get what's coming to her.

    ReplyDelete
  13. bleh... hopefully she stays in there for a long long time! that would be hard to do. the poor man and his little boy...

    ReplyDelete
  14. rainwolf: thank you....hopefully fate WILL smile on that baby girl...she deserves it.

    orhan: Thanks....I'm going to test her at 1:30 today. I just want to get it over with.

    j r: I know...it's SO not fair...I take samples by swabs....not blood draws. Times like this I wish it were the other way around.

    super b: I certainly hope so!

    curly girly: *sigh* I know...and that's why I'll do it. I feel better about it today. Less emotional and more pissed off. Which is a good thing. :)

    blanco: I hope she does too...I felt so sorry for that man....he looked near death...and to have to come in to be tested? That didn't help him at all. Poor guy. I cannot imagine what the child is feeling. So sad. :(

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's really sad. Maybe you should stab her.

    ReplyDelete
  16. first off, don't eat b/t now and then.
    second - i (heart) loops o'fury.
    make her bleed.

    i don't dare start a rant on this - as i will not ever finish...

    you are one tough cookie. chin up.

    ReplyDelete
  17. okay, so make her CHOKE on a swab!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Quick and silent. That's about the only way to do it.

    Sorry, babe.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I have no words, I know that's usual for me, being I can't shut up most all the time.
    I say let your groceries fly all over her skank ass...

    ReplyDelete
  20. think about all that is precious to you.. Do your job leave.. and remember how blessed you are.. thats the good side of me.
    Go on there knock her upside the head.. get what you need.. tell her what you think.. and leave.. thats the bad side of me...
    the good side says..
    much luck to you.. and you are a remarkable person and a brave woman.
    the bad side of me says..
    Go in there and kick her ass. oh and you still are a remarkable person and a brave woman.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Get the sample rectally with a sharp knife on the mom.

    ~Jef

    ReplyDelete
  22. That's horrible! Although it must be the worse thing you've ever had to do you know it has to be done and I'm sure you will do it because you know that the case needs to be processed and justice seen to be done.

    Now might be a good time then to take up drinking!! Only to get rid of the nasty taste that I know will be in your mouth!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hopefully justice will be served for the baby and the family members. You're a good person, Pissy. You're part of the team that will hopefully help this baby to a fair start in life.

    ReplyDelete
  24. nothing surprises me anymore....and that is sad.

    ReplyDelete
  25. OMG! That is only one year older than my youngest daughter. Ewww..Ewww...Ewww!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I second Rat's comments.

    Honestly, though, I would just do it as professionally and unemotionally as possible ... because you are a professional and you know that in doing this, you are helping to begin to right a terrible situation.

    ReplyDelete
  27. WOW. People are really screwed up. So sad.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Ouch, that is a tough one. I would be likely to punch her in the face more than vomit. Just keep thinking that your part is speeding up the process.

    ReplyDelete
  29. That is absoloutly awful. Beat the blood out of her :D

    ReplyDelete
  30. Thats disgusting, make it hurt (if you can)

    ReplyDelete

C'mon! Leave a comment.....you know you want to!