Sunday, January 1, 2006

Reflections on transitions, loss and change...

I had already gone to bed for the night. Fireworks going off in the neighborhood, everyone in the household asleep except for me, cozy in my bed with my little Buster curled up behind my knees...perfect set-up for slumber.

Then I started thinking..... I'd been hopping around from one blog to another off and on all day today. I visited two that I'd never been to before that had some very powerful and thought provoking posts about loss. Loss of loved ones. How that changes your life and the life you had planned. The lives of those around you... The posts I read today were still on my mind and led me to thoughts of the losses in my life and the changes and consequent transitions I've had to make in my own life due to those losses.

I don't want to come across as whiny or a crybaby or a complainer- for that matter. The losses I read of today are so much more recent than those I've experienced. One was the loss of a pet of 10 years. I've experienced that. The other was of the loss of a spouse. One that, oh so fortunately for me~I've not experienced. That particular blogger was so honest in her emotions of all the different facets of her life that will change now that her beloved spouse is truly gone forever.... I can hardly imagine that. I'm selfish, remember? I don't want to even try to imagine it.

The personal losses I'm referring to began in January 2003, when our treasured Dacshund, Barney, had to be put down. Barney was 16 years old and had led a most wonderful life with us. He shared in everything our family did and grew up with my two children. We brought Barney home when he was 6 weeks old. Little P was in 2nd grade and Penguin was in 5th. We are convinced that there could not be a sweeter dacshi with a better dispostion than our "Barn-barn". He was one of those dogs who was just cool, you know? Everybody who came in contact with him loved him. One of my favorite pictures of him (before digital or I'd post it) was of him sitting on the kitchen table amidst a card game that Little P and her friends were having while I was out of town. You know those kinds of parties.... There sat Barn~right next to Little P and her beer bottle. He looked like he was telling her which cards to play. :)

But that January 17th, Barney had reached the end of his days with us. We knew he wasn't well. The last few Christmases we'd think "this will be his last". But that Christmas he was relatively healthy-for him. Maybe he knew it would be his last one and he didn't want us to be sad.... Right after Christmas he went down hill fast. January 16th, I had a feeling the end was near. He'd already had so many teeth removed all he could eat was soft food and now he wouldn't eat much of that. That evening I went to check his water bowl while he was asleep in his favorite bed, covered with his favorite blanket and in front of his special little space heater. The bowl was full of blood....

I phoned the vet at home that night. You can do that in small towns like this. He told me to just keep Barn comfortable and to bring him in the next morning. Barn acted like his usual self the morning of the 17th. He walked down to get the newspaper with Sweet Man like he always did. He even ate a little of his favorite food.... I went to the office because I had court that day, so Sweet Man took him in with a promise that he would call me the instant the vet told him what was wrong.

At 8:15 my phone rang. Sweet Man was crying and could hardly speak. The vet came on the phone and said Barney had cancer throughout his little body. He really didn't know how Barn had managed to stay alive as long as he had. The vet said for me to come now.

I got there in less than 5 minutes~small town, remember? The vet had tears in his eyes when he told me that this would be the last best thing we could do for Barney.....and he would give us time alone with him first.

Walking into that room was one of the hardest things I've ever done in my life. I knew that I was about to allow someone to inject my favorite little "boy" with something that would take him from me forever. No turning back. This was the best thing for Barney and the most painful thing for us. Sweet Man and I held him and cooed our silly special "Barneyisms" to him while they gave him the injection. It didn't take long for him to leave us....

Because we loved Barney so much, we couldn't stand the thought of burying him here and then moving away someday, so we had him cremated. He'll go with us when we move and then we'll decide what to do next.....even after two years, we still don't know. Seldom a day goes by that Sweet Man and I don't mention him or something that reminds one of us of him. Seldom a week goes by that one of us doesn't still cry because we miss him to this day. I'm sure we always will.

I'm sure anyone still reading at this point is thinking "enough already!" But I feel the need to get this out even though it's 2 a.m.

My oldest and dearest friend, M, passed away March 2004. M was a breast cancer survivor of one and a half years. But she called me the week before Christmas 2003 on her way to the hospital. M was sobbing as she told me she'd been to the doctor that day. The cancer was back. It was in her liver and her spine....

I'd met M in Germany in 1985. She had the BEST personality. Never met a stranger. Could sell ice to Eskimos. Had FUN everywhere she went. We'd been through all the things best friends go through. We'd both been married to Army pilots, divorced them, raised our children in the same town. Helped each other through all the crap best friends help each other through...I won't go into it all. Anyone with a best friend of almost 20 years has been through some shit together, you know?

I was there with M when the doctor gave her the prognosis. It wasn't good. I'd go to the hospital as much as possible. I'd spend nights with her there, bring her cherry limeades from Sonic, bubble gum and lifesaver. Tulips~because we used to buy them in Germany all the time and they were still our favorites.

The last time I saw M alive, was the Sunday before she died. She was in terrible shape...hardly recognizable....listless....sleeping off and on from all the pain meds she was on. I brought her some Girl Scout cookies because she loved them. Her lips and fingertips were raw from her treatments. Bless her heart, she couldn't put vasaline on her own lips~the pain in her fingertips was so bad... I did it for her. I put a lifesaver in her mouth for her when she asked me to. She drifted on and off while "Sanford and Sons" was on in the background. We chatted a little when she would wake up. I reminded her of some of the crazy stuff we'd done. M told me something I'll always remember. She said, "Ya know Pissy, people come in here all the time and want to talk about the old fun times we had together. I don't remember them. But I tell them I do-just to make 'em happy and so they'll shut up. But I DO remember the crazy shit you and I did together." She told me this with a little smile on her face and her eyes closed. I said, "I love you, M." She said, "I love you too, Pissy." Then she went to sleep. I stayed a little longer while she slept because I was leaving for a conference the next day. I hated to leave. But she'd gone down hill and come back up so many times. I thought she would this time too.

As I said, that was a Sunday. I got a call at the conference on Thursday that she was dying. The drive back would take me three and a half hours. They said she'd be gone by then....

I miss M every day of my life. She was the closest thing to a sister I've ever had. While I know she is no longer in the terrible pain she was in, it's been SO hard to get used to life without her. She was my movie- going-buddy, my Wal-mart-at-2 a.m.- just-for-the-hell-of-it-buddy. She'd taught Little P how to blow her nose when she was 2 years old, damn it! How could she be gone?!?!?!?

My dad, who I had been estranged from, died December 4, 2004. He was 83 and in extremely poor health. His passing was a blessing. There is a post about dad in my archives.

While all of these things were taking place, I had some major, serious issues at my workplace. I went so far as to consider legal action and consulted an attorney from a different part of the state. Things were very tense at work, to say the least. I was unable to take any legal action, but I have continued to work there. I've become very jaded and hardened over the years at my workplace. The people I come into contact with in my line of work put a person on the defensive constantly. Mediation is combative~regardless of the fact that it's called "mediation". Basically I have to defend my position, my unit and my office on a daily basis. It takes it's toll....

I guess what I'm trying to make myself come to grips with is that I've let these losses, changes and transitions change me. I'm not sure that I like the person I've become. I'm so much more agressive than I used to be. If I want to say something, I don't hold anything back. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a rude bitch~just an opinionated one. Do I want to be that person? I never was before... Have I let the loss of my closet friend keep me from making more friends? I already worry about my two "boys" and when they will leave us... What good is that doing me??? Maybe it was having my 49th birthday on December 26th, that got me thinking about all this. The age thing doesn't bother me a bit, believe me. I just consider the alternative. And afterall, isn't "50 the new 30" or some shit like that?!?! Ha!

If anyone has made it this far in my litany and has any insight, I'd appreciate it.

20 comments:

  1. I'm sobbing as I write this. Your depiction of Barney's last days was precious. Your writing skills are amazing.

    Having taken care of both of my in-laws during prolonged terminal illness, I can vividly imagine what you and M went through.

    You are a good friend, Pissy.

    Happy New Year and may 2006 bring all that you need!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jenn: Thank you so much for your kind words and of course, your support. Thank you for taking the time to read my ramblings all the way through...I appreciate it :)

    I actually thought about M when I read your posts of your in-laws and then again when I was writing about M. I knew you'd understand. It's just so hard....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have no insight to give you. Only my sympathy for the loss of friends, family, and your pet. I cried when reading your post because I could feel your pain. Sometimes you just have to write it out like you did and share it with others.

    Take care, and the best of everything to you in the new year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You moved me talking about your best friend. Loss is so hard. I do believe it changes you. You just have to make sure it is for the good. The growing part, the character building aspect.

    Loss cannot define you but it can strengthen you. Not much wisdom, just some ramblings.

    HUGS!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't celebrated Christmas since Ricki's death. I've gotten my other kids presents and mailed them off to Minnesota but that's it. I am doing a double shift on Saturday at the hospital 7:00 AM to 11:00 PM.

    Yesterday at work a woman asked me how many kids I have. This prompted me to write this letter. I guess I am still working through some of the grief. This is my favorite picture of BooBoo and RJ. It was taken at Mankato Hospice.

    Dear Ricki:

    Today someone asked me how many children do you have? Since your death I don't know how to answer this question. Should I say 4 but my oldest daughter died? It feels strange to say 4 and just keep it at that, because it's a lie. I don't want the sympathy and that sorrowful look they give and then they ask all those questions about when, how old, and what happened followed by such a shame, so young, what kind of cancer was it? I hope you forgive me because I opted for the cowards way out and said 3. To answer all those questions would bring me too tears and I've cried oceans since you've been gone. I don't want to cry anymore. But there are certain times during the year that it can't be helped, this is one of those times...Christmas

    Your last birthday on this earth I lay with you in the narrow hospital bed and sleep avoided us both. A nurse in blue scrubs who had known us forever synchronizes our breath...mother and daughter, by the same falling light, taking in the same air, on the single pillow as we fall into slumber and dreams...your fingers drift into the palm of my hand and I hold on for dear life.

    You loved Christmas. You were the best kid to buy presents for. Even underwear the Christmas nightmare. You would open a present and Amy would open a present, both had the underwear you would laugh and Amy would grumble. You found humor in everything, that was your gift to the world joy and laughter.

    As memories go through my mind I remember when we went canoeing. You begged please Mom, I promise I won't wiggle and I'll be still, I won't tip us over, please, please. Finally I agreed to let you come. We pack up the canoe with our fishing gear put on our life jackets and you get in first. I got in and pushed us off. We were ten feet from shore and I turned around to give you one last warning about movement in the canoe and just like that I tipped us over. Fishing poles went to the bottom, tackle boxes floated away and your laughing so hard that I start to laugh. There we are in water up to our necks laughing. Did you know that at your funeral your friends gave me a plant with a birch bark canoe with a note mentioning the infamous canoe episode? It made me feel good that it was a good memory for you and that you shared it with your friends.

    I finally went into the big trunk that holds all your wordily belongings. I opened it and your homemade baby blanket greeted me, the one that grandma LeMay made for you. I pick it up and hug it to my face. How many times did I hold you in this blanket rocking you and singing you lullabies? There is an entire history woven in this blanket. I sit on the floor hugging your blanket and rock back and forth with these memories. I open your baby book next and there in between the pages is the first flower you ever picked for me, a buttercup. I start to laugh, there is your first dollar bill that grandpa LeMay gave to you. Curls from your first haircut, so many memories in this trunk. Your poetry and drawings, your feathers...you are your mother's daughter.

    This letter has nothing to do with Christmas and everything to do with Christmas.

    I have not celebrated Christmas since your death. That first Christmas after I stayed in bed for days during Christmas. No tree, no homemade Christmas cookies, no laughter, no joy.

    At the bottom of your trunk is an old shoe box filled with every single homemade Christmas ornament you ever made me. The ones from special pre-schools, the ones from grade school, they are all there. I can't open the box because I don't know what will happen if I do. There is your Christmas sock with the Velveteen Rabbit. You loved that story when you were little. You loved Christmas, it was your favorite holiday because you had no special school. It meant a break from peers cruel teasing and being surrounded by a family who loved you. You and Travis were always the first up, waking everyone else up. You gave your candy to BooBoo because it was so funny to watch her fill her cheeks full and the chocolate dripping down her chin.

    This letter to you has been healing for me but I don't know how to end it, how to say goodbye again. So I will just say Merry Christmas Ricki Joy, Merry Christmas to you.

    Love Mom

    PS> I am thinking maybe tomorrow I will go with Bruce and get a small tree to hang your ornaments on.

    ReplyDelete
  6. kc: thanks so much. :) I left a comment on your blog earlier b/c I'm having problems with mine. But I didn't want anyone to think I was ignoring your kind words :)

    Sunny: You are so right. I try to be positive about the things I can't change~guess reading everyone's reflections made me have my own.
    Thanks for being you :)

    Nancy: I think your letter to Rikki may be the most touching thing I have ever read. Believe me when I say that I really feel more than that about your letter...I just don't quite know how to express it. The love we have for our children is indescribable~ as is the pain one must feel upon their loss....
    My heart hurt for you as I read your letter. The tears ran down my face. I'm crying again now for you as I type this.
    Thank you so much for sharing your letter to Rikki with me. I will always remember it....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nancy your letter was beautiful. I am with Big P I don't have the words to express my thoughts.

    A BIG hug to you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. P,

    Thank you soooooo much for not just visiting my blog, but leaving a comment. I have been stealth reading your blog for a couple of weeks (saw ya on Buddha Girl's blog) and I was thinking "wow, what a cool lady!"

    I know now for sure that I was right.

    Those that we love, whether they are here or we have lost them are oftentimes a reflection of ourselves. Your beautiful baby Barney, your friend M and even your daddy tell me that opinionated or not, you have a core of love and understanding that radiates through whether you mean for it to or not.

    I'm thinking that you will rise up to the challenges that present themselves and you will have a good year surrounded by family and friends (digital and otherwise) who consider themselves very lucky to have you in their lives.

    Rocky

    ReplyDelete
  9. Rocky: Being the dog lover that I am, how could I read about your Zoe and not comment?! :)
    Thank YOU so much for your comment! (We're just having a regular "love fest" here aren't we :) ) But I really mean it. I will try to remember your words of wisdom in '06.

    Pissy

    p.s. I found you through Buddha Girl, too :) Isn't she great?!?!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well...As soon as I am done commentng here, I am gonna call my best friend...she's my Walmart at 2am friend,we have been friends since kindergarten (I was crying and didn't want to go in the class, and she held my hand and stayed right by me all afternoon, we've been friends ever since) and it seems like lately we have both kind of let life get in the way and we don't talk everyday like we used to...just 1 or 2 times a week, if that. I was very touched by what you wrote about Barney and M, sometimes we can't help but be changed by what happens in our lives. If you feel that you have changed in a negative way, just try and work on it...its hard though. I wish you all the best in the new year...give your two "boys" a pat for me k?

    ReplyDelete
  11. wmy: Awwww... I hope you've called your friend. All the way back to kindergarten...that's so impressive to me. You are lucky to still have her in your life :)
    I have been trying to work on the negativity~although it may not sound like that. And you're right-it's not easy :)
    Consider my two boys "hugged" by you!
    Thanks for your comment!
    Pissy

    ReplyDelete
  12. can't breath...
    the pain and hurt in this world is simply overwhelming sometimes. the loss of a pet - i did the same thing you did BP - held our baby and whispered in his ear while letting him go.
    and the loss of a child, i simply cannot comprehend. it is my greatest fear as a mother - that something will befall one of my babies. nancy - your words and devotion to your child are an astounding tribute to her, to you and to the bond you so obviously treasure. i wish you peace in your heart.

    bp, it is a gift to be able to share these things. I have a feeling I know which blog led you to his place of self-exploration. I have been silently reading that one for months now. i am in awe of her ability to put to words the pain and angst in her life.
    you have demonstrated that same ability.
    there is softness there - in you. not near as tough and hard as you might like to believe.
    thank you for sharing your heart.
    tcole

    ReplyDelete
  13. Aww Pissy , i know just how you feel , I had a red( irish) setter whom I loved dearley but she went blind at age three!! The vet insisited it was kinder to put her down , that last day she was home I took lots of pics of her and sobbed all day, i couldnt even go with her to the vets for the deed top be done.

    I wish you all the best forr 2006 =)

    ReplyDelete
  14. t cole: you're right about the blog I was referring to. I found it on your blog. That lady is AMAZING. She and Rocky really got me thinking and it led to my post. I started to delete it...and then I thought: no, that's why I HAVE a blog. To be able to let things like this out....

    I am so sorry that you've suffered the loss of a pet. There really aren't words to describe the loss, are there? And as for losing a child.... THAT to me is the ultimate nightmare. What a brave, loving and caring tribute Nancy wrote for Rikki....

    Thank you so much for your kind words. I really do appreciate them and I'm going to try to take everyone's words (comments) to heart in the coming year....

    Pissy

    ReplyDelete
  15. Pissy, you've done me in today. I had a dog while growing up. His name was Bowser and he was a complete mutt. I know there was German Shep in him...that's about all I know. He would herd all of us kids together any time a stranger came into our cul de sac. He was simply amazing. He died when I was 14, and I know a piece of me went with him at that time.

    I lost my older sister when I was 15. It was a bad car accident. I'll never forget the loss. Perhaps I'll tell the story one day in my blog.

    I have talked about the loss of my Dad...two years ago this February. That post was a toughie...no doubt.

    Although Bowser, Donna, and Dad all died in different manners...quick and without warning and drawn-out hell like your friend, M, they all hurt and have left a hole in my life.

    I'm so proud of everyone here who's shared a moment of loss and emotion. Nancy is amazing...the loss of a child is something I pray I never encounter for I know how it changed my parents when my sister died.

    Big damn hugs to us all. I read something today that may help put some perspective on this introspection:
    There are years that ask questions and years that answer.
    - Zora Neale Hurston

    ReplyDelete
  16. Pixie: I'm sorry about your pup...that must have been so hard-to loose him at such a young age :(
    Thanks for your comment. :)

    Buddah Girl: So much loss out there... makes me want to never, ever feel sorry for myself....
    I am sorry about the loss of your beloved Bowser. And of course, your sister, Donna. My God, your poor parents.... And you, to loose so much at such a young age.... I know about that b/c my mom died when I was 14~but she'd always been sick~so it wasn't a shock.
    And your Dad....I am so sorry.

    Nancy is amazing...that's all I can say.

    Thank you so much for your comment and words of support. I love the quote~SO true.

    *hugs*
    Pissy
    P.S. I hope you'll feel that you can write about your sister some day. I would love to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Big Pissy! Oh my goodness how your blog brought back memories! I agree with signgurl that you have great writing skills...that's how we can all connect to your feelings. Recently my Uncle committed suicide, and it kinda made me come to terms with it. Why do it? Why 2 days before x-mas? Why be selfish and do that to my family? It brought back memories to when I lost my beloved uncle who was like a 2nd dad to me. The day we buried him I told my mom "it feels like my heart is breaking..." as I sobbed uncontrollably. I couldn't imagine life without him, and thinking that it sucked for the cancer to come back as he as getting his life back from the first bought with it.
    You are a wonderful person, opinins and all Big Pissy! I respect that quality about you-always honest and straightforward!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Excuse the misspellings! Typing in a hurry will do that he he

    ReplyDelete
  19. Peach: Thank you so much for your kind words~mis-spellings and all (heh heh).:) Please don't feel that you ever have to apologize for those 'cuz I sure make 'em myself:)

    I'm sorry about your Uncle. Penguin had of course told me about it, but I didn't know the cause of his death.... I have never understood suicide. My own uncle took his own life when I was 8 years old. My aunt found him hanging from the rafters in his workshop when she went out to get him for dinner. How do you do something like that to someone you love? All I can imagine is that the pain they have within them is so deep they see no other solution....

    Have a wonderful '06, Peach. And thank you for being such a great friend to my City Penguin :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks for the kind words ...and your welcome! You guys are like family to me Pissy :) I am always going to do my best to be a good friend to Penguin and everyone else :)

    ReplyDelete

C'mon! Leave a comment.....you know you want to!